Monday, January 26, 2009

013 - Topcatyo Plays the Phoenix Wright Series

Topcatyo Plays the Phoenix Wright Series



Remember with that Lord of War comic where I talked about how I didn't want to exclude my readers?
Well, I did it again.
Last year, a friend of mine lent me his Nintendo DS and the Phoenix Wright series for me to play. So, I played through them, quite rapidly, mind you, I was hooked, and felt better because of it.
In the middle of this series, I got the idea for two comics. This one, and the next one. This one based on a true story and the next on what I imagined would eventually become a true story.

Allow me to explain this one:
The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series, in case you don't know, is a series where you're a defense lawyer in the future with a different court system than the one implemented nowadays. You defend clients while also acting as detective for some reason, and eventually you solve cases. The cases get more and more convoluted as they go on and they almost always hit rock bottom for things start to look up. They can be quite stressful. At least for me.
Anyway, when the game isn't in the detective sections, you're in the courtroom section. In this section, you take various testimonies given by the witness and, using any evidence you have or any errors they make in their testimony, you hack away at the slab of marble that is their testimony until you have a nice statue of the truth, which is usually a middle finger because what you learn from the testimonies ends up screwing you over in the long run.

During these courtroom sessions, what you are meant to do is either extremely obvious and easy to figure out, very confusing and precise about what you need to do, or what you should do is extremely obvious but the game won't let you do it because your character hasn't figured out what to do next and you have to get him to the conclusion with baby steps.
Pressing a witness has no affect on your health bar (yes, there's a health bar) in the game except for special occasions. However, using evidence to show a contradiction in the witness's testimony will make you lose health, so you have to be very careful. It's best to save that health up because you're going to need every bit of it.
In Phoenix Wright, whenever I screwed up up and lost health, I'd simply shut off the DS and turn it back on as soon as the music showed that I was incorrect with my logic. This would mean I'd be taken right back to where I saved (right before I made my guess) and took less time than watching Phoenix get chided by the judge. I eventually learned there was a reset button for the game, and things went even faster.

The error in my thinking with this comic was that I never thought to check and see if anyone else did this. Oopsy poopsies.
Either way, here's the comic.

As you may notice, it's much much much better that my previous comics in the art department. This where I decided to start using clean lines for teh drawings and start coloring the comics. Coloring was a cinch, but the lines were a pain because the process I used to go about making the lines was extremely flawed.
I'd start by drawing rough, super thick lines for the drawings. Then, like the witness testimonies in the games, I hack away at the lines with the eraser tool until the lines were nice and clean and how I wanted them. This was bad because it took foreeeeeeeeeeeveeeeeeeeer and any small screw-up was noticeable, so I'd spend an hour erasing and going over the same pixel over and over until I got it right. I did quite a bit of drawings in Photoshop using this until I, recently, found a better and much much much quicker way of doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment